Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Book events

The past few weeks have been a blast, including three great book signing events (one in Portland, two in Jersey), as well as an interview on The Jamie Ross Show featured on MaplewoodOnline.com.  
Perhaps the best part was hearing from and meeting some of my father's contemporaries, all of whom continue to rave about Swede for his gentle nature and extraordinary strength.  I've been getting calls virtually every day from people who seem to love the trip down memory lane that the book provides, which is so gratifying.
One man shared in an email that when he was a 10 year old camper, his counsellor was 18 year old Swede.  "One at a time, he'd have us grab on to his gigantic shoulders and he'd take us for a swim, underwater...just like Tarzan!"
In the past couple of weeks I've seen and/or spoken to three of the all time great athletes that I discuss in the book: Al Attles, Monte Irvin, and Lonnie Wright.  They are so impressive(!), and I think they genuinely enjoyed the book.  (All three remind me of Swede in that they are so unassuming, and they are such friendly, positive guys).  Getting to know them has been one of the highlights of writing the book.
The picture above was taken at my Bar Mitzvah.  If you run into my younger brother Doug (bottom, left) please feel free to tease him about his get-up...which he still wears occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment