Monday, September 7, 2009

BLB (Brilliant Little Bobby)

Once, when I was a young lad I happened upon a brief conversation in which Swede was telling Estelle that one of his records had been broken.  This got my attention.
       Brilliant Little Bobby: "Daddy, weren't you mad?"
       Swede: "No, not at all, Bobby."
       Brilliant Little Bobby:  "Why not?!"
       Swede:  "I expected it.  I broke someone else's record, and I knew some day someone would break mine.  And some day someone will break his record."
       Brilliant Little Bobby (incredulously):  But why does everyone do that, and why doesn't anyone get mad?!"

Obviously, I thought my parents were talking about the plastic discs that played music, not some track and field record.  Are you beginning to conclude that it was quite clear, at an early age, that I was not destined to become a person of intellect? I'm just glad that I didn't walk over to our record player and break a few records to test my father's claims.

No comments:

Post a Comment