Friday, July 31, 2009

The Gentle Giant

When I first started researching the book about my father, "SWEDE", I was astounded by the way he was described.  Obviously I knew he was a big, powerful guy and a great athlete in his day.  But some of the comments were more than a little attention-getting.  I asked Hal Braff, founder of the Weequahic Alumni Association, if he knew of Swede.  He responded "Let's see, there was Superman, and then there was your father.  He was huge...a legend."  I asked Jerry Izenberg, the great syndicated sports columnist about Swede, and he casually replied "you father was God-like."  Other teammates and classmates responded with comments like: "we all worshipped your father", and "we all tried to emulate Swede".  It was after several of these conversations that I decided that the book should be targeted to a broader audience than just family and close friends.  As NBA great Al Attles told me, "your father sure impressed a lot of people." 

No comments:

Post a Comment